Somebody pinch me!

 



We arrived at Cape Town Airport and went through immigration without a hitch. Our duffel bags were already circling-waiting for us to hoist them on a battered but sturdy luggage cart. Out tour guide Ian was waiting just a few steps away, and we met our driver Colin. It was so exciting to be here! I kept telling myself You are in Africa! The Motherland! I can hardly believe it even now. 

Travel-weary, everyone climbed inside the gigantic coach. Then it was my turn. I swear that step was two feet off the ground, and I had to work to climb that mountain! Luckily I got in.

On the drive, I saw beautiful green fields, craggy mountains, and neighborhoods of shantys held together with bits of plywood and tin roofs held down by tires.  The houses that were middle and upper class had electrified wires above their fence lines. 

The neighborhood is flanked with charming looking restaurants and bars, and we turn into the driveway of the Mt. Nelson hotel, affectionately known as the 'Nellie'. The bus, (expertly operated by Colin) managed to navigate the most narrow spaces and get us tucked in a spot where we could empty out into the waiting arms of the staff.  Of course I would pick this time to step down without minding how far the drop was, and though I didn't fall, my leg felt the impact. I shook it off,  because well, we are in Africa at the Nellie!

We were guided though a beautiful garden area into a private entrance where we received warm hand towels, and a glass of champagne. This is where we were checked in. One lady that carried my backpack was so kind and welcoming. The private room set up for our afternoon tea was so beautiful! The table was lined with slim vases of flowers; the linens white and crisp, the silverware gleaming. Our hosts were the most lovely ladies who gave us an overview of what they were serving. First the extensive tea list. I went with a local Earl Gray. It was fragrant and smooth. There were finger sandwiches with all kinds of delicious fillings. Then came the desserts. It was an amazing experience I will never forget. Then we were all personally shown to our rooms

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Get these people out of my house!

Fly Gurl

Gratitude